The success of the 8.8cm gun had a direct influence on the design of German tanks and tank-hunters. The 8.8cm PaK43 was too big to be useful on a Panzer III or IV chassis, so German industry sought a compromise to upgrade the slow manoeuvring heavies such as the Ferdinand assault gun and Königstiger heavy tank.
The Army Weapons Offices answer was the Jagdpanther (Hunting Panther, pronounced yahkt pan-terr). This placed an 8.8cm PaK43 on a Panther tank to combine the firepower of the big gun with the higher mobility of the Panther.
Initial designs called for the Jagdpanther to be based on the Panther II, but once the Panther II was scrapped in favour of upgrading the standard Panther, the Jagdpanther changed to that chassis instead.
The main result was the lowering of the front armour to 80mm armour instead of the intended 100mm of the Panther II. The first Jagdpanther tank-hunters sported Zimmerit protective coating, but those produced after 8 September 1944 did not.
The German Jagdpanther Platoon contains:
- 3 x individually sculpted Jagdpanther tank hunters
- German decal sheet
Free worldwide delivery on all Flames of War.
Adding non-Flames of War items to an order that includes Flames of War items will incur a postage charge but you will only be billed for delivery of these additional items.
- New Warhammer 40,000 Imperial Knight now on pre-order
- New Warhammer 40,000 Tyranids now on pre-order
- December Games Workshop releases now on pre-order
- Wave two Warhammer Dark Elves now on pre-order
- New Warhammer Dark Elves now on pre-order
- New Warhammer 40,000: Space Marines now on pre-order